General Tips For Contact Lens Wearers
- Don’t let water come into contact with your lenses, this includes showering, swimming and water based activities. Letting water in can cause infection.
- If you’d like to swim in your contact lenses, wear goggles.
- Be patient – if you try to rush contact lens insertion or removal, it may not go smoothly. If you find it difficult to concentrate, take a break and try again later.
- Have regular check ups to make sure your eyes are healthy and the contact lenses aren’t having any adverse effects
- If on insertion the lens feels uncomfortable, slide the lens into the white of your eye then slide it back again.
- If your contact lenses feel itchy, uncomfortable or are causing irritation, remove them straight away.
- Do my contact lenses feel good? Check every single day to make sure that your lenses are comfortable, you can see well and they are not making your eyes red in any way.
- Whatever time your contact lenses say to be replaced, this is a must. Keeping contact lenses for longer periods of time than intended can lead to infection.
- Try not to wear your contact lenses for longer than your optometrist advises. Keep in mind that any more than 16 hours a day could be harmful.
- Give your eyes a rest from time to time. If you can, once a week have a day without your lenses in to give your eyes a chance to breathe.
- Do not sleep in your contact lenses unless they are designed for you to do so.
You can get more information on contact lenses and if they would be a suitable option for you by contacting the practice or booking an appointment to see Joseph our contact lens specialist.